momma in pajamas

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Driving

I know you think you're a big man- all of 17, driving your car full of friends home on the last day of school. You probably think you'll live forever. Life is a highway...

As I drove down the road in my minivan with my two kids in carseats behind me, I was all too aware of others on the road with me. I may have been only going the speed limit and it probably seemed to you that it was taking me forever to get to that intersection. You could easily zip off your left turn in front of me before my slow-ass got to the light. If you even thought at all.

I thought of my kids, and of you, and of your carload of friends, as I slammed on the brakes so you could continue on your merry way. I saw you jeer at me and your friends laughing as I honked my horn. Then had to try to not swear and cry as I explained why I'd done it to my 3-year-old in the back seat who was frightened by the breaking and the horn blaring. I told him that was the only way I had to communicate with other drivers when they were being reckless. I didn't tell him that in that split second his mommy was overcome with fear that she might lose her children's lives because you weren't thinking beyond yourself.

SLOW DOWN! You are not invincible. Your friends are not unbreakable. Not all injuries can be overcome. Lives are not replaceable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home