momma in pajamas

Friday, October 31, 2008

Why keeping abortion legal is important to me

In the final presidential debate, John McCain mocked Barack Obama, stating that concern for the health of the mother was an “extreme pro-abortion position.”

When my husband and I moved to Lafayette, we planned to start a family and were overjoyed when I got pregnant. The joy was short-lived when we found out that the pregnancy was ectopic. Not only would it not produce a baby, but it endangered my life. Adding to my devastation at this news, there was the shock that should I require surgical intervention for this life threatening condition, I could not receive it at either of our local hospitals, as they are both Catholic run and consider such procedures abortive. Thankfully, I did not require surgery and my husband and I have gone on to have two beautiful sons, one adopted and one biological.

I am a married woman who was trying to start a family and things went awry. When carried out, the extreme anti-choice position held by Mr. McCain and the Catholic hospitals of Lafayette could have cost me my life. There are two little boys and a wonderful husband to whom my life matters, even if it doesn’t to John McCain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home